Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Social Network

I honestly feel like the Social Network is a bad movie. I don’t like the “creator” of Facebook and how pretentious he is. I hate that he sues his undeserving best friend, and it doesn’t make any sense that the rich guys still get the money from Mark. The fact that Zuckerberg wrote those awful things about his girlfriend or that the lawyer saw something in him is all beyond me. I had the hardest time relating to this movie, even though it is about a very common and understanding thing-Facebook. I just don’t get it, and, maybe that’s the beauty of the movie because I feel like I need to watch it again and again to truly understand what exactly was trying to be said.
I hated the way Mark was so utterly infatuated with Justin Timberlake based on the way Justin presented himself. Mark betrayed his friend because of this man. I could not stand the fact that Mark swooped under his friend’s feet and sold nearly all of his shares in the company. Who does that? And why? Jealousy makes people do awful things. That’s what Mark did to his friend and that also what the rich twins did to Mark. Jealously can create evil.
The Social Network was confusing for me in the way that it relates to identity.  I have been lost at the idea that the Social Network and Brave New World relate to each other in anyway. So to keep it simple I looked at the way the characters acted in the movie. They all created themselves in a certain way through social media. One chooses how others will view them based on the filtered versions of our profile pictures and the info we add to our bios. Everything we add to our web page is what creates us in this “unreal” version of a new world.  In the same way Brave New world created each person and left him or her in that stereotype. Everyone is categorized into the places they want to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment